Monday, February 25, 2013

Earthlings


After watching this documentary it’s very hard not to be emotionally disturbed.  How low has the human race gotten that we have no sympathy towards other creatures?

Specism is a profound word used to describe how humans beings prefer their species above all else. It is an immoral way to justify the killing of innocent animals for sport, food, clothing and other selfish reasons. The fact that these animals are not simply being killed--they are being slaughtered, tortured, brutally murdered and disgraced by the human race goes to show how much we as the superior species have evolved that we do not know what it means to have mercy.

First of all, food is the main reason why animals are killed. Pigs, sheep, chicken, cows, fish, and crustations are all being housed in horrendous conditions. When going to a grocery store and selecting fresh produce such as an apple, one is keen to pick an apple that is without blemishes. However, when one buys meat they don't have that capability. These animals, of course, are housed in close quarters that disease is inevitable. Pigs are often covered with open wounds; they are constantly licking/eating the flesh off of each other, as well as living in sordid conditions. Then they are ruthlessly butchered and sold as meat. The evidence is wiped clean and one selects, "the best prime of meat that money can buy". That same piece of meat was part of the body of a disease raised creature that was unnaturally brought into the world due to human's "need" for meat. In reality, people who are picky about their food aren’t as selective or aware of what they are putting in their body because they don't know the exact condition of said animal. One who doesn't eat meat and relies solely on fresh produce can tell whether an apple has been dropped, sprayed with pesticides, coated with wax or other extraneous factors.

This film makes someone re-evaluate what they are putting in their mouth due to the ethical conditions of the animals.

I'll admit, I did not become vegan due to ethical reasons. My goal was vanity. I wanted healthy hair and skin. I also wanted to eat all I wanted without gaining weight (anyone who knows me has seen me stomach a huge amount of food). However, once you immense yourself into this lifestyle, you start to educate yourself and you do feel compelled to become a more compassionate being. In some cases, you may end up loving animals and hating humans a little. By watching the film you realize-in my case-that I ate beef, which is a cow, that was strung by its hind leg upside down and had its throat slit. In many cases, the conveyor belt took it to its slaughtering location. In many of these instances, my heart skipped a beat as I watched the cow move. The creature was still alive and was ruthlessly being treated as an object that cannot feel.

The hardest part was watching how they manufacture "kosher" meat. It’s pathetic to say that people who view an animal as something so sacred will slaughter an animal with no respect. Now it boils my blood to hear the hypocritical people who claim to only eat kosher meat because it’s more humane. There is nothing humane about the way they torment and toss the animal to their death for the sake of food.   

As for clothing, I must admit that I love leather. I feel it has a “bad-ass” look to it. I no longer with to be classified as a rebel as I rather be someone who supports the environment and isn’t so concerned with material goods. I do own a few pieces of leather, I admit, I think my Dr. Martens are some of the coolest shoes ever. I also own a very nice leather jacket my mom ordered me from Mexico. I love these items; I also feel sad every time that I now wear them because I know they how they were acquired.

Ever since turning vegan, I have not bought any animal clothing. I also do not intend to do so in the future. It’s cruel that these animals are practically skinned alive just to make a coat or shoes. Now, the thought of wearing dead skin repulses me. I find it horrid that I am wearing the FLESH of an animal whose life was forcefully taken because I wanted to fashionably cover my body. That thought alone makes me feel like a repulsive and selfish-human being.

Food intake:
Breakfast: (1/2) smoothie made with two baby bananas, 2 apples, 10 dates, 4-5 large bananas, carob powder and cocoa powder
Lunch: rest of smoothie
Dinner: 3 cups of grapes, apple, peach, nectarine, 2 dried figs , 1 large banana

Exercise: 10.09 miles
45 min basic hatha yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment