Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Food Waste

The other day I was as fortunate to go out to eat at Panera Bread. It has been one of my favorite restaurant because it offers a cozy environment and has a relaxing atmosphere. The food and the service have always been friendly. However, this weekend I witnessed something that shocked me. We were one of the last customers to leave the establishment; they were getting ready to close. I went to put back the honey jar that my friend was using for his Raspberry Ice Tea, I saw that they were getting ready to take out the trash and had about three large 60 or so gallon bags (the large clear ones) aligned by the door. I took no notice, thinking they were still collecting all of the trash. However, I did happen to glance at the bags and when I realized what was in it, I was so heartbroken. Three large industrial bags filled with fresh bread and food that was freshly prepared that same day. This food was all destined to the dumpster.

My heart sank; I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. Even though I do not consume this type of food, I don't feel it should be wasted or thrown in the garbage. My parents have always taught me that we are to try to conserve and not waste food. That it was a sin. I also feel that it is very wasteful to do so. It is immoral to have food on the table, enough that we have extra to toss away when there is an army of people who are suffering in the cold outside wishing to have the SCRAPS that we toss out.

All of that food that was in the bags could have easily gone to a homeless shelter or a food bank. It was fresh food that could have been in people's stomachs a few hours prior if they would have ordered it. However, because no one had wished to purchase these items they are
discarded. 


A few weeks ago I was watching a documentary called Dive, which talks about dumpster diving and how Americans are wasteful spenders. They buy, grow, and produce more food that is consumed. 50% of the food production is thrown directly in the trash. 50%, HALF of the food supply that we see in the supermarket is thrown in the trash. There is no point in wasting time, space, energy, and money on the production of this food because it is automatically going to go in the garbage. This is unfair and unethical for our planet.


I digress, back to our discussion about Panera. The next morning I told my mom about my feeling and views on the subject. I told her that it was unfair and that the employees should do
something, if the company won't donate it, the employees themselves should deliver the food to shelters and food banks. She voiced that most of these employees don't care, don't see the impact on the environment, and feel apathetic towards the rest of humanity. She also said that many of them might fear getting sued if someone gets sick from eating this food. I was quick to reply that the Good Samaritan Act of 1996 specifically protects those individuals and companies whom donate discarded food that can no longer be sold. If someone were to get sick, they are protected by the law because they were trying to give assistance to those in need. Therefore, no one should be afraid of any criminal charges. Thus, since no one is held liable then there should be no reason why people are not trying to help those in need. Yet it is happening every single day. 


When I was watching the documentary, I was shocked at everything that was happening. I knew it was happening, I learned the facts. However, I didn't feel the exact emotion of disgust and shame that I felt that day I went to Panera. That day, seeing everything visually, live and in person made a huge impact. It’s not the same as watching all the "garbage" that people throw out on television as witnessing it happen right in front of your face. That’s when we realize how disgusting people really are. How shameful it is that American citizens go through their lives throwing their fuel away. When I watched the documentary Dive, I vowed I was going to be as resourceful as possible. I no longer am going to toss food away because it looks unappealing. I am going to try to make the most of it possible. I now witness food being tossed out in mass quantities-because I admit, it’s different from tossing food at home. At home, you feel that it’s harmless, but in reality it does all add up. I am going to try my best to try to change those surrounding me. First, I am starting in my home. I am also writing a letter to Panera Breads, asking them why they don't change their policy and donate any food that they don't view as edible. I hope to start to change a few of the corporate companies around here in order to make our planet more sustainable. I want to ensure that future generations are not as wasteful as humankind is today. I want to make sure that my future children know how to care and treat their environment as it is precious. We only have one planet earth. As cheesy and cliché as it sounds, we do need to take care of it. Our life depends on this planet; we must do everything possible to ensure that.  


Today’s food
Bf/lunch: smoothie made from 5 bananas, spinach, 2 pears, 4 Medjools
Snack: handful of raisins
Dinner: apple, pear, 3-4 cups of grapes, 11 Medjools  
Exercise: 10.8 mile run, 20 min strength training, 20 min gentle meditation

No comments:

Post a Comment