Sunday, April 28, 2013

Frugal Baking


So because it was such a beautiful day outside, I decided to bake in preparation for my non-stop week that was ahead of me. I wasn't sure when I was going to have a day off again and would be needing lots of things prepared.
My mom and I also decided to take my sister to school walking, we loaded up the wagon and off we went. It was very nice, to be outside and not feel rushed and actually enjoying the view. Normally, on my runs I tend to focus on not fainting or being attacked by crazy drivers. Lol
When we got home, I finished prepping all the veggies for my humongous salad that I will be eating for the following 2-3 days. Also I decided to experiment and make cauliflower rice. I've seen it when I was all raw. I made it once and I didn't very much like it as cauliflower has a strong taste and texture. So I decided to make it slightly steamed.


First I washed and dried about half a head of cauliflower and then threw it into the vita-mix (love that machine). After, I threw it in a pan so that I can dry fry it and I continued to add lots and lots of FUNGUS (my mom hates when I call mushrooms that, she said it makes them sound nasty). So, I added mushrooms, tomato, onions, salt, pepper, and a bit of basil leaves. It turned out okay. I think next time I might make a sauce for it, so it imitates Mexican rice. Or add a bit of texture with celery and bell pepper.
And for the main event!!!!!!! I made "Cliff Bars|". I love eating these, I normally buy two a week, and however I don't want to get addicted to processed foods so I decided to make my own. The fact that I had a bunch of super ripe bananas aided my decision to make a banana flavor bar as well.  
For the base it was equal for all
the bars:
Oats (grinded in the vitamix)
Whole wheat flour
A splash of water
Agave syrup
Puffed rice cereal
Cinnamon
Baking powder
Wheat Bran
Wheat Germ
look like this:

For the "everything version"
Mashed bananas, peanuts, sunflower seeds, banana chips, raisins, pineapple....I think that’s it



For the "Tropical version"
Mashed bananas, coconut, pineapple, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, Lemon and Lemon zest.....

For the "chocolate version"
Dates, LOADS of Carob powder, almonds, peanuts.....


I mixed it all and then I laid them flat on a cookie sheet and tried (YES, TRIED) to make them somewhat even. However, we can see that was a fail. I also laughed because as I was pouring the mixture onto the cookie sheets, it did look disgusting. I guess this is what it’s going to look like when it comes out. (Sorry, that was inappropriate; I shall bow down in shame).



 warning: the picture above does not look like edible food at all!!!!


And then I baked, baked and baked some more. I also stood next to the oven some; my mom said I was going to burn my butt off. But I like the warmth that it emits. When it was finally done, I waited (yup, I actually waited and didn't have a taste test). Then when they were cool, I cut them and instead of wrapping them individually (cuz I’m a lazy bum) I stuck them inside a Tubaware container so I can grab and go and wrap them in a napkin for my sisters' lunches, etc.


Finally, at the end of the day, I was able to try one (I waited so it would be an after dinner dessert). I must say, they came out a whole lot softer than a Cliff Bar, yet they were pretty darn good. I don't like to measure my food anymore because it creates anxiety for me; however I already know I will add more cereal next time. It’s all trial and error baby. Lol
Also, I baked some sweet potatoes in the oven (all three colors) and had some at dinner time along with my "rice" and salad with my homemade dressing. NOM NOM NOM
I hate to say this because it sounds sooo mean, but I enjoyed this whole lot more than going to the shelter.
My sister helped (ok I forced her) me wash my car, my sister's Birkis came in the mail.  The Birkis were my bday present for her. After dinner, my mom and I went to target and Walgreens (nope, I didn't purchase anything). All in a day's work. Smiles!















No comments:

Post a Comment