Thursday, April 25, 2013

Materialism


This year I have been trying to change my lifestyle. I have been trying to get rid of my worldly connections. I have tried to stop being materialistic and am only buying the necessary items such as food, gas, and school supplied (if necessary). I planned on going 40 days without buying clothes, shoes, accessories, and other random items. My first day in I already experienced the temptation because my dad and I went to Bed Bath and beyond and there was already an item that I wanted too purchased. My dad offered to buy it for me, but I thought that that would be cheating. Then at work, we received a new shipment of boots (my weakness) and I spotted about four pairs that I wanted. We also got some groovy sunglasses, however they all looked ugly on me.


I know it’s counterproductive, but if I last the whole 40 days without nuts, seeds, and shopping, I am going to treat myself to some Birkenstock sandals. I wanted some of these sandals for the longest time ever. It would be the perfect reward. I try not to be materialistic by not caring about brands, not giving into technology or trends, and just having a simplistic demeanor about life. I admit, I am not perfect at all. I struggle with letting go of my Toshiba tablet, Hp computer, boots, vitamix, and internet access. But I am trying, slowly letting go and just keeping the essentials. It slowly is affecting me because when I see people getting aggressive or demanding shoes (I work in a shoe store) it angers me. I view the behavior as barbaric. It disgusts me how people obsess and spend a tremendous amount of money on a pair of shoes that they are only going to wear with two or three outfits.


The purpose of shoes is to protect your feet from debris such as glass, bugs, etc. As well as keeping your feet from being frostbitten in the cold or burning in the summer. Now, they have become a fashion accessory. They are now an object people use to judge your worth. I feel that is dehumanizing-judging others on materials as opposed to the actual person. I thank that I haven't fallen that far from the tree and my parents (immigrants) have instilled values in me that aren't so common anymore.


This has been a long journey. I went the 40 days without purchasing anything. I did order my shoes, but I looked for an economic pair. I tried to settle for a durable pair that I would wear over and over again. I don't want to stress myself out for a pair of shoes. I am glad to say it has been the only thing that I have bought. I did go to downtown LA   (shopping district) but I didn't buy anything, I was tempted but I decided not to. I want to make this a life commitment. Use only that of what I need. I want to not take more than necessary because it does happen to deplete our environment of all the necessary items that we have. It also promotes greed and selfishness, something that I try not to participate in.


These are my goals for life, it’s never too late or too early to start shaping the life you want to have in the future. Perhaps I see myself married and living in a nice home with sufficient space for a garden. Living off the land as much as possible. Perhaps I see myself as rock-loving hippie. But most of all, I want to be happy and promote a sense of peace, spirituality, and health.

No comments:

Post a Comment